Municipalities of Hagonoy and Malalag wre both created on May 28, 1953 by virtue of Executive Order No. 596 issued by President Elpidio Quirino. The municipality of Hagonoy first set of officials assumed into office on July 5, 1953 with Roman Sacedon as the first appointed mayor. It has 21 barangays with an area of 11,664 hectares. It is bounded on the north of Digos, on the south by Padada, on the east of Davao Gulf and on the west by Matanao. Its name derived from a vine called “HAGONOY”, which grew along the bank of Padada ( Hagonoy ) River and the nearby corn and coconut fields.