The municipality of Digos was formally inaugurated on July 19, 1949 with Mr. Benito Rabor as the first appointed Mayor. Its name was derived from the word “PADIGOS” meaning “take a bath”. This municipality was bounded on the north by the municipality of Sta. Cruz , on the east by Davao Gulf, on the south by the municipality of Hagonoy and on the west by the municipality of Matanao. Republic Act No. 8789 formally declared Digos as a component city of Davao del Sur and supported by a majority votes presenting 87 percent of the voters in a plebiscite held last September 8, 2000.