The municipality of Bansalan was created under executive Order No. 506 last June 6, 1952 issued by President Elpidio Quirino . Bansalan was extracted from a portion of the municipality of Digos. It formally functioned as municipality on September 18, 1952. It has 25 barangays with a total land area of 15,775 hectares. It is bounded on the north by the province of North Cotabato, on the east by Mt. Apo and municipality of Matanao and on the west by the municipality of Magsaysay. It derived its name from Bansalan River, which was named in honor of the one who first dug the earth named “BANSALAN”.