The Spanish Civil Administration created this municipalities last October 5 1884. This gulf town originally called “Labo”, a bagobo word which means “Marshland”. Sta. Cruz derives its name way back in 1880 when the Spaniards planted a across under a shelter upon their failure to Christianize the settlers who continued to resists them. The left the place with cursing the words saying “forever the people in this area shall sacrifice in the name of the cross”. It was Angel Rodriguez, a Spanish Governor General of Mindanao province who blessed and created the town “Sta. Cruz of Mindanao” which later came to be known as the municipality of Sta. Cruz. Hermogenes de Castro, the Cabeseria was appointed last October 1884 as the first official. The territorial land of Sta. Cruz originally included the areas of Digos, Bansalan, Magsaysay, Matanao, Kiblawan, Hagonoy, Padada, Sulop, Malalag, and Sta. Maria which was the barrios and sitios of Sta. Cruz is bounded on the north by Davao City, on the east by Davao Gulf and on the south and west by the municipality of Digos.