The Public Information Office by virtue of Sec. 454 of the Local Government Code of the Philippines
and whose functions are defined in Sec. 486 thereof, to wit:
“The Information Officer shall take charge of the office on public information and shall:
1. Formulate measures for the consideration of the sanggunian and provide technical assistance and support to the mayor in providing the information and research data required for the delivery of basic services and provision of adequate facilities so that the public becomes aware of said services and may fully avail of the same;
2. Develop plans and strategies and, upon approval thereof by the governor implement the same, particularly those which have to do with public information and research data to support programs and projects which the governor or mayor is empowered to implement and which the sanggunian is empowered to provide for under this Code;
3. In addition to the foregoing duties and functions, the information officer shall:
• Provide relevant, adequate, and timely information to the local government unit and its residents;
• Furnish information and data on local government units to government agencies or offices as may be required
by law or ordinance; and nongovernmental organizations to be furnished to said agencies and organizations;
• Maintain effective liaison with the various Sectors of the community on matters and issues that affect the livelihood
and the quality of life of the inhabitants and encourage support for programs of the local and national government;
4. Be in the frontline in providing information during and in the aftermath of manmade and natural calamities and disasters, with special attention to the victims thereof, to help minimize injuries and casualties during and after the emergency, and to accelerate relief and rehabilitation;
5. Recommend to the sanggunian and advise the governor on all other matters relative to public information and research data as it relates to the total socioeconomic development of the local government unit; and
6. Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.”
The PIO shall be an effective conduit by which the programs, activities and plans of the Provincial government can be clearly conveyed to the constituents of Davao del Sur.
To maintain an active partnership with the media; pursue an effective liaison to all city hall departments, local government units, government agencies, NGOs and various sectors, to ensure that the PIO is responsive and attentive to their concerns with regards to the proper dissemination of information, the delivery of basic social services and vital advocacy campaigns of the Provincial government.
We hereby commit to render excellent service on the public; guided by the Rules and Regulation of the Civil Service as Public Servants adhering to the principle of Accountability and Transparency.